Monday, August 27, 2012

So We R Getting Older...


And if you have not learned by now, constant competition with other women is fruitless.  More often than not, the other woman always wins.

ATTACK OF THE FIVE-FOOT-TEN-INCH WOMAN

In this episode of SATC, Carrie Bradshaw “won” in the smarty pants department when Natasha (the woman Big married instead of her) used the possessive pronoun ‘their’ instead of ‘there’ in a thank you note.  The note read, “Sorry I could not be their [sic]”.  Sadly, in the real world, such wins against your very own "5'10" woman" does not always happen.  It is possible that the pretty, flawless one; your very own Natasha, is also an intelligent woman with impeccable grammar skills.  Growing up in a large household full of exceptional women, this fact was a reality I learned early on.

As a result, I’ve been completely satisfied with the fact that in any given room, there is a 99.99% chance that there will be another woman present that is all around better than me.  Her hair will be shinier and her style immaculate. Her smile will sparkle like Edward Cullen’s skin when in sunlight, her intellect will make me want to renew my expired subscription to the Wall street Journal, and she will have the unattainable laissez faire personality that evokes proposals from men on a daily basis.  Did I mention that she could also double as Martha Stewart if she so chooses? 

It seems in our days, you seriously cannot swing a Fendi without hitting a put together, intelligent woman.  It is what it is. There is always going to be someone better than you and my friends… THAT IS ABSOLUTELY FINE.  
Refrain from conjuring up an inflated bout of confidence to deal with your version of the “5’10" woman”. And don’t waste a second trying to match their fabness or worse picking her apart just so you can feel better about yourself.  First, you will not feel better about yourself and second, if she truly is better, everyone around you will know it and you will look like an idiot with a misplaced sense of awareness when you try to tell anyone who will listen that her style is really generic. Especially since she is the one "bringing all the boys to the yard". 

So instead of being the antithesis of a Girl Power touting Spice Girl, let’s all try feeling and preaching to ourselves some version of this: Perfect cyborg woman, it’s fine that you are smarter/ prettier/ happier/ sweeter/ more talented or with more money that I could dream of (Yes, I am talking to you, Beyonce, Halle Berry, Rachel McAdams, Meryl Streep, Girl from college whose name I cannot remember, all the Vogue girls, any published writer-- Issa Rae and Keli Goff I am looking at you-- the list goes on…); such as life and I commend you

Well, we don't really have to go as far as commending but you catch my drift. Just accept.  It is what it is.  So, in the spirit of Girl Power, and hailing fabulous women, I wanted to share these pictures of Simone Tetteh, Vogue’s Bookings Associate, I saw the other day.  I had to concede yet again— another lovely beauty with a sense of style that needs to be heralded.  
Of course if she has a blog I probably just shot myself in the foot as you all might replace my blog with hers’…and to that I say... C’est la vie. 

I hope you get to SPICE up your internet browsing time with below pics. I know I did!






XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment